Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Southern comfort

the other day (ok, it was a while ago), the strangest thing happened.

TheMan and I were walking out to the car from the grocery store, laden with bags but generally in good spirits, chatting with each other, as you do when you're happily married and young(ish) and cool like we are.

Another young(ish) couple was exiting their car and walking in the general direction of going into the grocery store, and they were talking to one another. As we passed them, the woman looked me straight in the face and said with total sincerity, "Be not afraid, God loves you."

And the weirdest part about this unsolicited comment from a total stranger? I wasn't weirded out in the least. Usually anyone discussing religion in a personal belief way is uncomfortable for me. Honestly, I tend to feel like a person's relationship with God (or their preferred higher power) is their personal relationship and shouldn't be imposed upon by anyone. But I found myself comforted by this stranger's words, the exact opposite reaction I would have ever expected of myself.

Maybe I'm becoming a real Virginian after all...

No comments: